Go to navigation

Become a Shared Lives carer

Shared Lives flower imageAre you looking for a fulfilling role with full-training and support provided that you can do from home? Then consider becoming a Shared Lives carer.

Shared Lives carers give vulnerable adults with physical or learning disabilities a temporary home or place to go with support, so they can experience family life.

Shared Lives carers are:

  • assessed and trained by us
  • paid according to type of support they provide and the needs of the person they're caring for
  • living in and around Medway
  • an individual or a family who can offer short or long-term accommodation in their own home.

Carers provide:

  • short or long-term live-in care and support - the adult moves in temporarily and becomes part of the family
  • respite and short breaks - between one night and two weeks to give a family or long-term carer a break 
  • day support - one-on-one or small groups letting the cared for adult be included and active in the community. 

Find out more

To find out more about becoming a Shared Lives carer and talk with a member of our staff you can:

You can also come to see us at our information events. Details of events will be posted on our Facebook page and in Medway Matters.

What you need to know

Shared Lives carers are self-employed and you will only be paid when you have a person in placement. We will complete a full assessment of you and other family members, including home visits and personal/medical references, as well as full checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

The assessment is used as part of the matching process. The approval and matching process may take a long period of time as it is essential that everyone involved is positive and happy about the proposed placement.

  • You will need to go on training courses before working
  • You must have a spare room to provide long-term, short-term or respite care     
  • You should check with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to see if becoming a carer will affect any benefits you may receive
  • If you receive incapacity benefit, you cannot be the main carer for someone 
  • We cannot accept applications from people who manage a household with temporary residents, like a guesthouse and providing rooms for students or lodgers.

See our most recent CQC inspection report.