Go to navigation

Planning - advertisement control

The council controls outdoor advertising through the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007 ). Its consent is required to display most types of advertisements except for some limited categories. A guide for advertisers gives a summary of the regulations.

The council can grant express consent for a period of five years and the regulations give deemed consent for certain categories of advertisement. Most illuminated advertisements need express consent.

The council can challenge any advertisement erected with deemed consent, requiring its removal if it is considered to affect the amenity of the area or public safety. The owner of the advertisement has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.

Due to the complexity of the regulations, it is advisable to consult the council before displaying an advertisement.

To apply for advertisement consent you need to complete the application form and validation checklist, supply plans and drawings, other relevant supporting information and fee.


For more information contact Development Control, Regeneration, Community and Culture by telephone: 01634 331700 / 01634 331195 or by email: planning.representations@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Development Control, Regeneration, Community and Culture, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR